A Different Kind of Challenge.... 33

Mona Pendleton | Tuesday, January 12, 2010 @ 6:20 PM | , , , , ,

Hi Everyone! I appreciate all the sweet comments that have been left regarding my creations :) They sure are encouraging & greatly appreciated!
Today I have a different kind of challenge... You know how fashion goes around & around, never really changes, just comes full circle? Well, I feel like that is what I have done: I started sewing when I was 16 as a necessity to mend my clothes, (growing up with 10 siblings), to making my daughter's dresses & quilting during the long cold winter days & nights in Buffalo, NY. I then adventured into scrapbooking, scrapping my children's photos & making memory books to sell. My girlfriend, Dianne, & I had a wild idea that we could actually make $ selling little memory books at the Hospital Holiday Bazaar. LOL! That was a bust but we had a lot of good laughs & that is when I met my 1st SU Demonstrator, Shana, who introduced me to stamping & has become my dear friend. Consequently, Shana welcomed a set of wonderful twin boys & rarely gets a chance to stamp anything these days & Dianne took on a job requiring 4 out of 5 days of traveling & doesn't even step foot into her Craft room! As one of my New Year's resolutions, I have promised myself that I am going to complete some of those unfinished scrapped books :) I have "met" many cyberfriends, if you would like to see some awesome creations, please feel free to visit their blogs. In no particular order: Diane, Kim, Carole & Susan to name a few! Which leads me to today's post - Are you still with me? :)

Here is my 1st page from our trip to Europe 2007- Venice One think I find very challenging is choosing which photos to use. We always take a million! These 3 are some of my favorites. I love the largest photo which is a "street" view of Venice taken from the water taxi. Of course, I had to get a few pics of the Gondoliers & their beautifully ornate Gondolas.


For sketch inspiration, I turned to the gals on Splitcoast Stampers for some inspiration, SBCS68, to get my scrappin' MOJO flowing :) I tweaked the sketch a bit to "fit" my photos. I "flipped" it & eliminated the big circle because it just didn't look right with my photos. I hope the SCS girls don't mind :) In my search for inspiration, I came across a few awesome sites, but if any of you scrappers out there can recommend some, my "eyes" are wide open for suggestions :) Please feel free to email me or pass the information on in a comment, I read them all!
As you can see, I love to layer my pages as much as my cards :) This is a close up view of the little blossom on the left I made using 3 different sized Spellbinders Scalloped Circle dies & 1 tiny Blossom die. The ornate center is a Making Memories brad.
I made this "Post Card" embellishment from a free digital print of a map. I downloaded the image, scaled it the size to fit my page then hit print! Easy as that! I never knew just how many freebies are out there on the www! I inked up the Post Card image from the SU Winter Post set with SU Chocolate Chip ink & stamped it near the top of the map. I crinkled it up for a distressed look & smudged some Ranger Tim Holtz Vintage Photo ink on the edges as well as the print. Using my distressing tool, I roughed up the edges, layered it on a piece of Bazzill brown cs, then stitched it into place. I found that gorgeous button at the "garage sale" at my LSS :) The little postage stamp image inside the fancy Tim Holtz Ideology bookplate is from a Hero Arts multi-package. I inked it up with SU Rose Red ink then cut it out using a Spellbinders Oval die.
To make this little tag, I inked up the Hero Arts Italia image with SU Bordering Blue ink, stamped then cut it to fit inside the Cuttlebug postage stamp frame, layered with a piece of Bazzill brown cs & set aside. The tag itself was made by first stamping the Waltzingmouse image with SU Chocolate Chip ink then by centering the Spellbinders Labels 4 die right over the image, then sent it through my Sizzix Big Shot Express machine. The tag topper was made from inking up the Waltzingmouse image with SU Old Olive ink, centering the Spellbinders Labels 4 die & repeating the cutting process. I repeated this step again by placing a Spellbinders Scalloped circle die over the image. Topped it off with a little clip from SU.
This big blossom was made by layering the beautiful, whimsical MTME © Fluttering-by digi paper & K&Company DPcut with the Spellbinders Dahlia die then distressed. The center has a Tim Holtz Ideology flower embellishment & pearl Paper Studio brad.

So there you have my first scrapped page of 2010 :) There will be many more to follow. I would love to know if you are a Scrapper as well as a Card Maker? Be Sweet!

Stamps: Hero Arts Italia Tower, International Cancel Post, SU Winter Post, Waltzingmouse stamps, various free digital images
Paper: MTME © Pretty Printables: Fluttering-by, K&Company DP, Bazzill Brown, SU Very Vanilla, Bravo Burgandy
Ink: Ranger Tim Holtz Vintage Photo, SU Chocolate Chip, Cranberry Crisp, Bordering Blue, Old Olive
Sprinkles: Spellbinders Dahlia, Blossom, Oval, Scalloped Circles, Labels 4 & 5, Tim Holtz Ideology hardware, Paper Studio brads, Making Memories hardware, Sizzix Flourish #2 die, Cuttlebug postage stamp die, PTI twine & button from stash

post signature


 Comments

33 Sweet Comments So Far:

Annette Bowes said...

Absolutely Stunning, there is so much wonderful amazing detail, a masterpiece, should be framed and displayed on your wall. I use to sew when I was younger, making clothes, then curtains etc and kiddie costums, now just started putting onto my cards. Only started scrapbooking last year, then got distracted with cardmaking LOL! Just about like to have a go at most things and this wonderful blogging journey is certainly helping with that, take careX:)

SusanH said...

Annette couldn't have said it any better! This is a pure masterpiece! Go buy a frame right now and but it on your wall! I can't imagine any project better than this!!! Wow!

Isabel Jett said...

Mona, OMG, this is beyond beautiful, stunning or gorgeous! Every detail is jaw dropping! What possessed you to create this masterpiece?

Penny said...

Pretty amazing stuff Mona! This is Gorgeous with a capital "G"! I love all your little details like the vaporetto ticket, the post card and the sensational Spellbinder flowers! You are really gifted when it comes to stuff like this! Also thanks fit sharing your story with us! Bravo!!!

Trisha said...

Gorgeous beyond words, Mona! This is your best, most creative work to date! I would love to see your entire scrapbook when you are done! I'm amazed!

Shana said...

Wow - gorgeous! Now you're talking. I NEED to scrapbook. I might be inspired to participate in some of your challenges to help me get some of my own mojo going. I'm so behind in the books for my boys. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Unknown said...

WOWEE, Mona! This is just incredible!! Such incredible details on such a wonderful layout! It looks like it should be framed and proudly displayed!!!

Thanks so much for the inspiration! I started out as a scrapper and have evolved more into a stamping cardmaker, but I really want to get back into scrapbooking more!!

Lucy said...

Wow, Mona, I am totally and completely blown away! This scrapbook page is so amazing and beautiful! I don't recall ever seeing a page so gorgeous! I love all those little touches you have there. And yes, you should definitely frame this. It is a work of art!

Rosella said...

I just came across your blog and I am STUNNED, IMPRESSED, IN AWE. Your work is absolutely AMAZING!!

Rhonda said...

Mona, I love that all the crafty endeavors now seem to have come together. Years ago you would have never sewed on a card or stamped on a scrapbook pg. I'm so glad that everything can be used on any project.

Thanks for the inspiration. I'm working at a Project 365 album. Can't imagine what you would do with that! (Smile)

BethieJ said...

BEAUTIFUL Mona.. just BEAUTIFUL!!! I am a scrapper too.. and funny funny I sent you and email this AM with a fun link of SVG files! LOL!! Before I had even seen this! :) Ok they arent scrappy sites.. but... :)
Have a GREAT day.. thanks for sharing your TALENT with us!!

Julie said...

Hi Mona,
This layout is so beautiful so full of detail and so inspiring. Make sure it takes pride of place!!
I'd love to scrap much more than i do - I have millions of photos of Harry alone that are just waiting to be scrapped I think i'd better get started before the next little one arrives.
Lots of Love - Ju xx

NanceB said...

Mona, this is so unworthy of just words! This is beyond beautiful! I love eveything that you did with this page. It is stunning!

HeatherCz said...

I think this is the most beautiful thing you've designed so far! OMG this is magnificent! It is a work of art! Amazing job, Mona!

Jan Hirsch said...

Wow, Mona you've been holding back! I didn't know you had the scrapbooking bug as well! This page is way way beyond words! I love it! It is so gorgeous! Every detail is perfect especially the distressed ticket and post card! Oh my!

Jen Johnson said...

Mona! Wow! What a freakin' incredible and stunning scrap page! I can't believe that my little card queen can translate to 12 X 12 so well! Unbeliveable! You are so talented and I just love everything you did with this page. It is so like eye candy; every inch of it! You might have just inspired me to get off my butt and scrap our Florida trip from last summer! TFS!

Rosanne said...

Wonderful page Mona!

AKiteFlier said...

Oh my now I have one more reason to visit your blog everyday! THIS is amazing - no wonder I don't scrapbook anymore - I would be totally overwhelmed to make something like this but you pull it off so fantastically! WOWOWOWOWOWO. Rock On GF.

Davi said...

As usual you are just amazing!! These are beautiful!!Im not a scrapper but I love to do paperbag albums for my friends.

Unknown said...

Mona, I'm so honored that my scrapbooking inspires you! After all, YOU are one of my "diva's" in this cfat. I always find inspiration from you and desire to be like you!

Your layout is nothing short of spectacular! Your style is just as I imagined it would be. You are so very talented with all you do! I love the vintage flowers, metals,and papers you used to document this amazing trip. Big hugs to you, my friend!!!!! :)
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Sierra said...

Mona, girl, you are amazing as always! This page is so delightful! I just can get over how appealing this scrapbook page is. I love the vintage look you've created; it's perfect for the subject! This is the definition of stunning! Great job!

Julie said...

This is so beautiful and interesting. Venice is amazing and so is this page! Fantastico!

Irene Oden said...

What a spectacular looking scrapbook page! Mona, you have done such an outstanding job with this! Every inch and every detail is gorgeous! Wow!

Mary Reidel said...

What can I say that hasn't already been said? This is your masterpiece! You did such an amazing job with this beautiful page!

Mara Campbell said...

Even your scrap pages have amazing details! Can't wait to see more of your pages in 2010. I have been scrapping for almost 20 years and just recently got into cards and other little altered templates and goodies. I love it all, but my first love will always be scrapbook pages.

Happy Thursday, Mona!!

Andrea M said...

Hi sweet Mona! What a gorgeous layout! Love the vintage look and the fabulous details. You put so much care and attention in every project you create - how inspiring :) Love, love, love your work!

Lori Kilterman said...

So stunning and detailed! This is your best design to date! Just gorgeous!

Alyssa S said...

This is gorgeous! Isn't Venice one of the most magical cities that you've ever visited? I think part of the magic for me was the lack of automobiles. So amazing! TFS and bringing back some memories!

Pammy said...

Great job, Cupcake! This is so amazing! I think we have one of your most beautiful creations! Love that vintage touch; perfect for Venice!

1CardCreator said...

Wow Mona, you rock! You totally out did yourself this time! This truly is frame worthy, too special to hide away in the pages of a scrapbook. The details you are so famous for come together so beautifully in this page. I love your post too, your life has so many layers of interesting details just like your art. Thanks for the sweet mention and the link, and thanks for sharing. ~Diane

Yesnir said...

This is really a magnificent design! You did such a great job with all the details and you've captured the vintage "feel" of Venice! I hope you do more of these. You are super talented, Mona!

Tammy L said...

OMG, Mona! You've been very busy! How do you crank out such gorgeous things so often? This page is so elegant and so refined! What a wonderful design! This is the perfect vintage "feel" for that gorgeous city of Venice! This has to be put in a magazine!

Lauren said...

I love all the special details you incorporated into this amazing scrapbook page! I think this is the most beautiful scrap page I've ever seen! Great choice of subject as well!


Thank you so much for leaving a sweet comment!


 
Cupcake's Creations Copyright © 2010 Prozine - Designed by Lasantha customized by Scott Pendleton for Mona
Banner graphic elements courtesy: House of Three
Home | RSS Feed | Comment RSS