Abstract White Roses 25

Mona Pendleton | Thursday, January 14, 2016 @ 1:34 AM | , , ,


Hi! Today I have a page to share that I painted in my canvas paper art journal featuring a trio of what are suppose to be abstract white roses. I combined painting techniques learned from: David Jansen and Nancy Medina, two talented artists whose art work I admire.
Roses are supposedly one of the more challenging flowers to paint and I completely understand why! I wanted to throw in the towel more than once while painting this page because I was getting frustrated with myself. My hands were not moving the paintbrush the way I had it planned in my mind! I continuously remind myself that it's going to take A LOT of practice before I have a finished product to proudly hang on the wall. 
The background was painted using acrylics including the metallic silver and the rest was painted using oils. I'm discovering that I prefer painting using oils. Since I'm just learning and I paint rather slowly, arylic paints dry rather quickly and oils take days. I've mixed retarders and extenders to the acrylics but the paint seems to get quite "tacky" making it challenging to work with.

I'm entering the painted page in the following challenges:
For color inspiration: the colourQ colour challenge:
Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days: Day 14:
Art Journal Every Day:
Thanks so much for visiting ~ I hope you have a great Thursday!
Be Sweet ;)
post signature


 Comments

25 Sweet Comments So Far:

Constance said...

Gorgeous work, Mona! Love how you used these colours!

Ros Crawford said...

It's beautiful! Love the colours and they look just like wild roses

Pamellia said...

Wow, so breathtaking Mona! Those white flowers seem to have movement and I've been sucked right in! Captivating! hugs :)

Mirna said...

So beautiful, Mona!

Samra said...

WOW!! Mona, you should open your own art gallery and earn fortune with your art!!!
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!
Hugs
Samra

Marjan said...

Can imagine that when it's not going how you would like it to go is is frustrating, but this is lovely. Your style is very pleasing to the eye and I think the flowers are just beautiful!

SewPaperPaint said...

I really love these colors and the variation in color on this one, Mona!

Lisa said...

Wow, Mona, it's absolutely stunning!! The roses look amazing!! The dimension you achieve is incredible!! You need to be painting these onto canvases and selling them!! You'd make a fortune!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Lynette Jacobs said...

Oh, I adore your color combination...beautiful painting.

Kim said...

Gorgeous wild white roses!! I love your free form painting Mona!!

Kim said...

Gorgeous wild white roses!! I love your free form painting Mona!!

carol (krillsister) said...

Gorgeous. Your roses are exquisite.

Diane Jaquay said...

Gosh this is really lovely, Mona, you're doing a fabulous job with your painting!

Lisa Elton said...

This is lovely Mona, your use of the ColourQ colors is fantastic! Thanks for joining us this week!!

Cheryl W. said...

You've created another beautiful page for your journal, Mona! That is going to be quite a journal - a real keepsake! I imagine you can begin to see the advances you've made in your artistry. Keep going, it's all wonderful!!

Val-Belle said...

I would say you nailed it. I just love your paintings. Somewhere I am not even going to go. :D Roses are my faves too and yes you are right everything just takes practice. Love this.

Greta said...

Love how you used the colors of the challenge & even if they don't look like you had in mind they are certainly beautiful, Mona!

Vikki H said...

Your talent is very evident in this lovely entry. The modern roses with that fun background are perfect!

Nancy Penir said...

Gorgeous! Love the composition of roses and leaves!

Words and Pictures said...

I really love this one - so cool how the leaves almost become geometric shapes - a really clever effect.
Alison xx

Jill Norwood said...

Mona I love these colors and i adore roses! So pretty my dear! :)

Gale Evans said...

Lovely painting, Mona! White roses! Magnificent!

Sue Lelli said...

Love the colors and the design!

Stella said...

Brilliant; gorgeous colors and I love the design. Your roses are perfect!

Sylvia said...

I love how your painting is progressing, Mona, and I totally agree with you about preferring oils to acrylics. Unlike you I started out painting in my teens, gave it up when I had my first child and haven't gone back to it. I do love to water color...but oils are so easy to change when wet...or paint over when dry! Your roses are lovely...I can't paint a rose...they are so difficult! Thanks for joining in the fun at the colourQ.


Thank you so much for leaving a sweet comment!


 
Cupcake's Creations Copyright © 2010 Prozine - Designed by Lasantha customized by Scott Pendleton for Mona
Banner graphic elements courtesy: House of Three
Home | RSS Feed | Comment RSS