dare to Dream...MFT April Creative Challenge and a tutorial 40

Mona Pendleton | Monday, April 21, 2014 @ 9:00 PM | , , , , , , ,

Hi there! Welcome to the MFT DT April Creative Challenge! Just in case you are not familiar, the MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we were challenged to "Jazz up our blooms with pattern"
I painted a sweet owl on a canvas then embellished her with a variety of jazzed up die cut canvas blooms and leaves:
Shown below is a die cut canvas Pretty Posie featuring a star pattern which was made using the Graduated Stars Stencil then colored using the new Hybrid Razzle Berry ink pad and topped off with a Razzle Berry button:
I also jazzed up several die cut canvas Splendid Sunflower leaves (steps shown below):
I couldn't stop at just one ~ I embellished her with an additional trio of jazzed up die cut canvas blooms (steps shown below):
For the title, I stamped / heat embossed a sentiment from Dandelion Wishes then randomly added texture and design using the Damask Stencil:
For color inspiration, I joined along with the current MFT Color Palette Challenge which is to use: Natural, Razzle Berry, Blu Raspberry and Gumdrop Green. You still have time to play!

In case you are curious about how I made today's project, I took some step shots along the way:

I started with a blank 11" x 7" canvas board which I randomly applied acrylic paints that coordinated with the colors featured in the MFT Color Palette Challenge to create the background. I painted the owl, stamped a sentiment, stenciled on detail then embellished with my homemade jazzed up blooms.
To create the blooms, I die cut canvas using the following fabulous Die-namics dies: Die-namics Flower Medley, Die-namics Botanical Beauty, Die-namics Pretty Posies and Die-namics Perfect Petal Trio:
I added texture and design using the various stencils along with Gel Medium. Shown below is the Checkerboard Stencil. I repeated this step using the various stencils adding texture and design to the other die cut flowers: Graduated Stars Stencil, Swiss Dots, Graduated Diamonds,  
I jazzed up the Splendid Sunflower leaves by using the emboss / resist technique. I stamped / heat embossed the text image from Collage Backgrounds:
Lastly, I colorized the leaves and blooms using the following MFT inks: Hybrid Gumdrop Green, Hybrid Razzle Berry, Hybrid Blu Raspberry and Natural then adhered a coordinating button to each layered bloom:
Thanks so much for visiting! Please be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all the designers who will be joining along.
Be Sweet ;)

post signature


 Comments

40 Sweet Comments So Far:

Sue Lelli said...

Your owl is so Pretty and I LOVE that technique for your blooms! Most of all I LOVE how the damask pops off the page! Gorgeous, Mona!

Cataleya said...

Dear Mona, it's so sweet owl! I love your amazing project in every detail!!!
~Olga Kovalchuk

AmyR said...

What a gorgeous canvas Mona! And love all the techniques you used on the blooms!

Marjan said...

Love your pretty owl! She really stands out on the beautiful canvas and your embellishments are wonderful too.

Cathy McGrath said...

Mona, I just love your project! The colours and textures are stunning. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Crystal said...

Stunning colours, Mona! Love what you did with these gorgeous flowers!

Tracey said...

I am loving your canvas flowers!! A gorgeous project Mona!! The colours are awesome!!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Wow...so colorful. It brings a smile to my face.

Diane Jaquay said...

Gonna be hard to find words to describe how amazing I think this piece is, Mona! One of my all time favorites of all the mixed media pieces you've shared with us, SUPERB in every way!!!

Larissa Heskett said...

AMAZING Mona!! I LOVE this!! The Bright Colors and that background area AWESOME!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

BethieJ said...

BEAUTIFUL Mona!!! I LOVE it!!!!
Have a GREAT day!!!

GabrielleH said...

Really gorgeous, Mona! Love the sweet owl and those amazing blooms!

Pauline said...

A beautiful canvas Mona, love the step by step turorial. Such lovely spring colours on this cute owl!

Carol McCready said...

Sensational canvas. Love the color and those embellishments.
Thank you for the tutorial.

Lisa Elton said...

This is just as pretty as can be Mona!! You are amazing ;)

Christine L said...

STUNNING Mona.... I think you may just be the next Picasso!! (or Mrs Picasso??) Well anyway... don't forget us when you're famous!! hehe

Hugs
Christine x

zehra said...

Lovely project live the flowers the owl is cute

Unknown said...

She's so sweet Mona and I love your flowers. :) What a fun canvas!!! Hope you had a wonderful Easter holiday. xx

Lisa said...

Wow, wow, wow, Mona, this is absolutely stunning!! It took me a while to comment because I couldn't quit staring at your work of art!! The texture, design and color of this is amazing!! I love, love it!! Wow!! Have a great evening :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Vickie Z said...

I know you know I LOVE this but, just wanted to let you know I was drooling..

Carol Reisner said...

Mona, this is incredible! I love the colors and the pretty texture and colors! WOW!

Betty Wright said...

WOW! Absolutely stunning, Mona! The details, the dimension, the artistic design! All of it is just amazing!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

What a fabulous owl! He is gorgeous!!

Davi said...

Fabulous Creation Mona!! Oh I love your sweet owl ,she is darling and the fun blossoms you created dress her up perfectly :)

Fiona said...

This is so beautiful and so colourful, Mona! I absolutely adore it! What a gorgeous owl and those blooms are magnificent!

Constance said...

Wow, Mona, where does your creativity end? This is incredibly gorgeous! What lovely colours! I really love your sweet owl and those gorgeous flowers! Such eye candy! Thanks for sharing your talent with us! WOW!

Joy said...

Fantastic to see mixed media and love those flowers with so much texture, hugs

Julia Aston said...

wonderful colors and design on this Mona! love your sweet owl and the beautiful canvas flowers!

Greta said...

You are an amazingly talented artist, Mona! I could spend all day browsing your blog. I love the way you jazzed up the flowers & leaves--I'm going to pull out my stencils. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous owl :-) I love the color and those pretty blooms!

Stella said...

It;s been a while since I've bene here ( at first computer issues and after that being ill; yikes!) and I really enjoyed looking at all the beauty you created. The tutorial is inspiring and very helpful; thank you for sharing. Looking at the canvas I can only sigh. Not a very orignal coment to leave but I hope it says it all. I love it!

Kerry said...

Wow, what a phenomenal project, Mona! I love your sweet owl and these colors are so beautiful! What a work of art!

Angi Barrs said...

Gorgeous!!!! I just love the colors!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous canvas, Mona! Love your sweet owls, the colors and your blooms!

stampingbowd said...

Oh my word, I need more adjectives!!!!!!!!! Mona, this is really something! The colors are fabulous, your background amazing. That owl is beautiful! The jazzed up die cuts are really fun.

Mary Chen said...

Wow, Mona this is so beautiful! I'm blown away by these colours! Absolutely fabulous!

Words and Pictures said...

Altogether gorgeous - the owl is amazing and I love the flowers echoing the colours in the painting.
Alison x

Mary Reidel said...

Amazing canvas, Mona. I just adore these colors and embellishments. So talented!

Wendy ten Hove said...

But I must admit I'm totally blown away by this one!! :D Probably also because it has some of my fave colors in it and it's so bright and pretty. And owls are just the best! Very, very beautiful!!
Hugs, Wendy

Heather Rogers said...

She is darling, Mona! Love the vibrant colors. Looks like the new MFT inks work well for mixed media. :)


Thank you so much for leaving a sweet comment!


 
Cupcake's Creations Copyright © 2010 Prozine - Designed by Lasantha customized by Scott Pendleton for Mona
Banner graphic elements courtesy: House of Three
Home | RSS Feed | Comment RSS